Dec 3, 2019

Advent Calendar: Third Wormhole

From the 1st until the 24th of December, we'll present you a reading tip from our holidays newsletter on this blog - and another reading tip, in German, on our website!




Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Gods of Jade and Shadow
Inci says: Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s 2019 release with the most gorgeous cover ever is a sort of road story set in jazz age Mexico and follows young Casiopea Tun, who accidentally releases Hun-Kamé - the Mayan deity of death who wants revenge from his power-hungry brother Vucub-Kamé. When I first started reading this book for the Mythic Fiction Book Club, I thought “Oh man, how am I going to finish this...”, but guess what? The characters totally grew on me and the adventures of Casiopea and Hun-Kamé turned out to be so engaging that I was really sad when this Mexican odyssey came to an end. This new type of fantasy is one I particularly enjoyed, and I think that newbies as well as hardcore mexicophiles can equally delight in the magical realism and the many layers this book offers in terms of comparisons/ metaphores/ elements relating to Mexican history and Mayan culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment