Dec 22, 2019

Advent Calendar: 22nd Wormhole

Or.. let's get weird... very weird, indeed.



Laird Barron
X’s for Eyes
Caro says: Wow-ow-how….
What drugs does this guy do? I want some!
X's for Eyes is really short. But oh my….
The stuff that is happening here is just weird: devils, monsters, objects from space stranding on earth, subterranean Lovecraftian places with lots of mysteries and even weirder stuff happening inside. But the real amazing things are the very young protagonists of the story. We’re in the 50s and we’re following these two boys who are descendants of the humongous industrial corporation Sword Enterprises They’ve been trained or should I say drilled in a remote himalayan hard-core monastery (hello Bruce Wayne) and they’re acting veeery grown up, very smart-assy. And they’re talking that way too. To me it’s just plain out astonishing how Barron writes those bubblizations! Somehow … I don’t know…dialect, flippant, wise guyish… no, I can’t put my finger on it, I’m sorry – just read it! If you’re not shy of a little mind-warping horror. It‘s a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment